Narrative research: Building and Running SenseMaker® Projects – San Jose, California (2 day workshop)
Keen to implement a SenseMaker® project but not sure where to start?
Got the theory around complexity, narrative and SenseMaker®, but need to know how to apply it?
This is the course you need to get you started…
As more people run SenseMaker®-fuelled projects, we want to share some of the guidelines and experience we’ve picked up in working with a wide variety of clients in recent years. Some of the experience was hard-won – there’s no need for you to make the mistakes we did…
What will I learn?
This two-day course combines theory, worked examples and exercises to guide people through the essential elements of a SenseMaker® project and help with some of the key options and decisions that need to be made to make it effective. The course is ideal for those who are just starting to run a SenseMaker® project or who have run one already and want to improve for their next.
We strongly encourage participants to come with a potential project in mind so that they benefit from practical insight, not just theory. We will use participants’ projects to explore options and come up with practical proposals. For those not yet at that stage, we will also be working with demonstration projects.
Elements of the course:
- How to collect micro-narratives and stories
- What engages people to share their experiences
- Building stakeholder/client engagement
- How to test frameworks and collection methods
NB: In the time allowed, we will cover designing frameworks (the narrative research instrument equivalent of a survey questionnaire) and running projects in some detail. We will also briefly discuss approaches to analysing data but not in great depth. If this is your particular interest, then we will be introducing courses specifically addressing this later in the year.
Course tutor Tony Quinlan has extensive experience running SenseMaker® projects for public, private and not-for-profit sector clients in many different environments and countries. These range from cultural assessments for governments of Middle East countries, to gender attitude monitoring in Africa, and business improvement projects for Pfizer across Europe. As a regular Cognitive Edge trainer, he brings theory and practice together with examples of the good and bad as well as a sense of humour.
What is SenseMaker®?
SenseMaker® is the only software and methodology licensed to use Cognitive Edge’s patented technique that encourages people to both share authentic experiences and then signify their perception of that experience. It prevents misinterpretation by (even well-intentioned) experts and allows the quantitative analysis of people’s authentic voice.
SenseMaker® provides a tool that gives equal voice to everyone without prejudice and while reducing researcher bias and as such has been used to:
- Understand people’s perspective on their world
- Improve employee engagement
- Develop co-created strategies and programmes in the international development world
- Explore consumers’ underlying attitudes to products and services – and identify opportunities to enrich customer loyalty
- Engage with citizens on complex policy issues
Cognitive Edge reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule the offered session. In the event of cancelation or rescheduling, a full refund of course fees will be processed within 10 business days of cancellation or rescheduling notice. Cancellations by registrants are only permitted with a minimum of 3 weeks notice ahead of course delivery date with refunds provided less a 10% processing fee. Substitutions are permitted at any time as well as rescheduling attendance to an alternate session within a 12 month period.
Explanation of the ticket choices above:
1. If you are part of a group of four (4) or more people, then please email email@example.com for a group discount.
2. Sign up for the Network here: http://cognitive-edge.com/register/ for a Basic membership. When you’ve done that you’ll be directed to the Network Dashboard page, click on the upgrade option to pay to become a Premium member and use the 15% discount code.
NOTE: Group discounts cannot be used cumulatively with Network Membership discounts. If you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org