Has Agile lost its soul, and is it even agile any more?
In this masterclass, Dave Snowden, the creator of the Cynefin framework and the agile community’s favourite curmudgeon, will address agility from the point of view of complexity and bring to participants a realistic approach that puts context before dogma and shows a future for Agile that goes beyond fighting over methods and towards a sophisticated application of agility in organizations.
Day 1: Cynefin and Advanced Cynefin
Some previous familiarity with the Cynefin Framework will be assumed for this course, so take this into account when signing up.
In this day you will learn about:
- The full version of the latest, liminal version of the Cynefin Framework. This incorporates movement into the familiar form of Cynefin and turns ongoing change into transitional spaces with unique properties.
- The various domains of Cynefin as the subject of domain frameworks in their own right. These have been reworked to accommodate the liminal turn in Cynefin, as have the various Cynefin dynamics.
- Applying Cynefin in practice through vivid stories and real-life examples, from scaling and exploiting new patterns, to distinguishing among the subtle variations of a context and reading their tendencies, to communicating between levels and contexts.
- How to use Cynefin as a fractal sense-making framework in your organisation; creating a common operational and strategic language.
- The advanced typology of constraints, linking to the domain definitions within Cynefin.
- Managing for the unforeseen and unforeseeable by accessing the resources you already have through novel use and harnessing serendipity, not as blind luck, but through consciously creating the conditions for new discovery.
*Please note that Day 1 will start at 11:00 and end at 19:00 to accomodate travel schedules*
Day 2: Cynefin for Agile
In this day you will learn about:
- The original spirit of Agile and how many current applications depart from it.
- The difference between manifestos, principles, and heuristics.
- Agile as a part of the market curve itself and the impacts on its current form: commodification and transformation.
- What iterative and incremental looks like in the context of Cynefin and how it works with its dynamics and the domain models.
- How to avoid the problem of having agile teams in a waterfall organisation – scaling for complexity and designing for multiple levels at the same time.
- The expansion of the Agile methods and principles beyond IT and what that means for agility.
- Moving from a focus on individual employee mindset and trying to change one person at a time, to changing the environment and creating the right conditions.
- The difference between contextual success and a universal recipe for success: faulty reasoning and what to do when a model won’t work for you.
Who is it for
This course is for people who have some experience with agility and Agile as well as the Cynefin framework, and it is especially recommended for Agile professionals and practitioners, coaches and trainers, consultants, digital specialists and people who work in the highly complex area of organizational transformations.
Dave Snowden divides his time between two roles: founder and Chief Scientific Officer of Cognitive Edge and the founder and head of the Cynefin Centre. His work is international in nature and covers government and industry looking at complex issues relating to strategy, organisational decision making and decision making. He has pioneered a science-based approach to organisations drawing on anthropology, neuroscience and complex adaptive systems theory. His paper with Boone on Leadership was the cover article for the Harvard Business Review in November 2007 and also won the Academy of Management award for the best practitioner paper in the same year. He has previously won a special award from the Academy for originality in his work on knowledge management. During his tenure at IBM, he was selected as one of the six on demand thinkers for w worldwide advertising campaign His company Cognitive Edge exists to integrate academic thinking with practice in organisations throughout the world and operates on a network model working with Academics, Government, Commercial Organisations, NGOs and Independent Consultants. He is also the main designer of the SenseMaker® software suite, originally developed in the field of counter-terrorism and now being actively deployed in both Government and Industry to handle issues of impact measurement, customer/ employee insight, narrative-based knowledge management, strategic foresight and risk management.
Explanation of the ticket choices
- If you are part of a group of FOUR (4) or more people, then please look at the ticket option for a group booking, or email email@example.com for a group discount.
- Premium Members get 5% discount on all Masterclasses and 15% discount on all introductory trainings. Sign up for the Network here: Cognitive Edge network registration for a Basic membership. When you’ve done that you’ll be directed to the Network Dashboard page, click on the upgrade option to pay to become a Premium member and use the discount code.
- Discounts cannot be used cumulatively.
If you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Cognitive Edge reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule the offered session. In the event of cancellation or rescheduling, a full refund of course fees will be processed within 10 business days of cancellation or rescheduling notice. Cancellations by registrants are only permitted with a minimum of 3 weeks notice ahead of course delivery date with refunds provided less a 10% processing fee. Substitutions are permitted at any time as well as rescheduling attendance to an alternate session within a 12 month period.