Four tables Contextualisation
The Cynefin Framework is used to understand and take action in different types of systems confronting decision makers. Cynefin is a sensemaking framework in theoretical form – to operationalise the framework, it needs the domains, sub-domains and boundaries to be defined by fragments (such as day-to-day experiences of people) to create context that is relevant to the organisation. Four tables Contextualisation is a lightly facilitated workshop based Method used to create and operationalise Cynefin models for decision making. A completed Cynefin model that is contextualised to the environment and operations of a community, team or organisation provides a new shared language with which decision-makers can discuss situations, perspectives and possible actions. It can be used to talk about interpretations of current conditions based on gathered data, to evaluate strategic interventions, and to constructively manage conflict and bring about consensus, without removing conflict. Cynefin is fundamentally considered a sense-making framework, which means that its value is not so much in logical arguments or empirical verifications as in its effect on the sense-making and decision-making capabilities of those who use it.
Want to see the full method? Sign up for a Premium Membership.
- Premium Membership$249 / year
- NEW: Bi-monthly access to Dave Snowden's webinars, an exclusive platform for introducing his latest thinking
- NEW: Bi-monthly access to online forum events hosted and moderated by one of CE's senior consultants
- Discount of 15% off payment for all public courses and seminars (not cumulative)
- Early access to select SenseMaker® or Network offerings
- Full access to online resources
- Rights to use Cognitive Edge techniques and tools commercially according to User Agreement
- Sign Up